We’re extremely proud to announce that the first stage of our debut solo exhibition has been hung and is looking dandy in the luxurious bar of Brighton’s most rock and roll hotel – The Pelirocco!
Officially listed in the Fringe Festival’s brochure and website, we think there will be quite a draw, so to ensure there’s enough of our “affordable art” to go around, we’re doing the show in two parts… digital prints (giclee) in editions of 100 that are available at unbeatable rates, then, later in the month, hand printed versions (serigraphs) in more limited editions at slightly more exclusive, but still very reasonable prices.
The brilliant owners and staff of the hotel have our deepest gratitude, not least for tolerating our frantic to-and-froing in the chaotic lead up and launch of the show… quarrelsome stick insects and a runaway penguin caused a right kerfuffle, but thankfully order has been restored.
If you’re in town, do drop by, the show is free to get in and looks far more stunning than these photos show. There’s a little buzzer on the door as you arrive – press that and the staff will admit you and offer you refreshments from the bar …I recommend you check out their list of cocktails.
Hotel Pelirocco, 10 Regency Sq., Brighton, BN1 2FG (directions)
If you are interested in purchasing (unframed) prints from the first, digital phase of the show, it’s pretty straight forward:
Small prints are £10 each, measure 20 x 15cm and include
- “Sasha” the streetwise, bubblelicous mouse
- “Douglas” the cider swilling Somerset hog
- “Xavier” the crazy bat and his prey
- “Brett” the record collector donkey
- “Pouco Pueblo” the scribbling baby tapir
- “Dot” the exhausted echidna (spiky anteater)
- “Bailey” the tabby with the top scores
- “Echo” the nervous Streamertail (an Amazonian bird of paradise)
The long thin prints are £20, measure 20 x 50cm and include
- “Jamelia” the gentle giraffe
- “Chief Low Cloud” another giraffe, an elder of the grasslands
- “Eugene” a cheerful chameleon about to enjoy supper
Lastly, large prints are just £30, measure 50 x 40cm and include
- “Kimiko” a nimble, ninjitsu trained squirrel
- “Rocky” a raccoon with a sweet tooth
- “Sasha” a large version of the bubblegum blowing mouse
- “Betsy” a saucy cabaret dancing beaver
- “Beatrix” a merciless croc who wallows in Lady Luck’s shadow
You may have also noticed the signed and numbered cans. Yes, these too are available for purchase. “Condensed Crocodile Tears” are the first in a series of limited edition Petting Zoo canned collectables that make great gifts, paperweights or ornaments individually, while in stacks they occupy shelf space as a sculpture evoking memories of grocery store displays and vintage packaging.
Please note the actual contents are not suitable for consumption and the cans are intended as unopened curios. A disclaimer on the can reads as follows:
“TOY” NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNG CH!LDREN.
Actual contents: Maybe custard, may contain nuts,
may contain lactose um, stuff, probably out of date,
possibly explosive? probably not. BEST NOT CONSUME.
Petting Zoo Prints & Collectables accept no responsibility for bad tummies or hideous rashes that may occur due to the exposure of canned contents! dun dun dunnn!
Individual cans are £8, a stack of 6 cans costs just £30 and a stack of 10 costs just £40!*
*Cans are signed and numbered and are from a batch/edition of 100, stacks thereby are limited to availability.
Check out these bargains!
We’re always happy to cut a good deal here at the Zoo, as visitors to our art-market stalls know, so keeping in that tradition we’ve put together a number of discounted packages.
- 4 small prints, just £35 (£5 saving)
- 2 long prints, just £35 (£5 saving)
- 2 large prints, just £52.50 (£7.50 saving)
- 1 large, 1 long & 4 small prints, & a can “toy” just £70 (£28 off!)
- 2 large, 4 small prints & a stack of 6 cans* just £85 (£45 off!!)
PLUS! All orders over £40 also receive a free Petting Zoo “Mind Your Fingers” print worth £10! …pretty cool huh?
How to place your order.
At the hotel. Simply fill out an order form at the bar (just ask a member of staff for one) and pay at the counter. Your order will then be processed, securely packaged and sent to your specified postal address within a maximum of 10 days.
Online. details to follow very shortly.
The show runs until the 17th of June… next blog post will confirm the date that screenprinted versions will be available for perusal/purchase …thanks for reading!